Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I will never forget

As I've been told before I'm one of the lucky ones.   I received a job offer yesterday for a well paying contract position near my home.   They want me to start on Monday.  

I know I'm incredibly lucky and fortunate to be able to find something.   Particularly, in the nick of time, as the case here is.   (I have another three weeks of benefits on my claim)

But I'm not going to forget this experience.
I'm not going to forget being angry, depressed and enraged all the time.  A friend just told me over IM that I "took it out on facebook" meaning that pretty much every status update there was angry.  I realized a few weeks ago that I wasn't a fun person to be around anymore.  I would mutter bitterly and rant to anyone in earshot about how this whole situation was screwed up.

Or rather, is screwed up.

It's still a screwed up situation.   I still have friends waiting for the unemployment extension to pass.   There are still people out there wondering if they can live in their cars (if they haven't already).   The number of desperated and depressed people grows each week and will continue to do so even if the current bill is passed.    The unemployed are still being demonized in the press by shady recruiters, cheapskate companies, and politicians that are more about their own interest than that of their constituents.  

What this recession showed is that ANYONE can be affected - at any time.   We are far from out of the woods yet.   I could be laid off and looking again in a few months.   It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.   I won't forget what I went through and what others are still going through.

Something seriously needs to change in how we do things in this country.  I still haven't ruled out leaving the country and I'd hate to see it come to that but you do what you have to do.

Keep fighting, my friends.  I won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment