Saturday, June 26, 2010

I'm one of the "lucky" ones

I got this response from someone via twitter earlier today and I've been thinking about it non-stop

"if you are unemployed, imagine how many ppl have fewer skills/skillsets than you. I wish there was a way to get the word out to ppl"

And really, for being unemployed I am what can be considered one of the best positions.  I'm young, but old enough to have some experience (unlike the more recent grads).  I have a BS in biology and philosophy and am working on an MBA.  For what I used to do (a job that has mostly been outsourced), I have an impressive resume.

I've been unemployed now for 11 months.



I get job interviews.  I get several, actually when you consider how few jobs there actually ARE out there.  However, many industries have been hard hit and there are a LOT of unemployed people - both nationwide and in New Jersey, where I live.  So employers have the ability to be picky and they have been.

I'm competing with several people much older and being younger (and therefore cheaper in salary) is not enough for me.   I've been looking for even unpaid internships to gain experience but can't find any.  I'm single so I have there's no income from a spouse to supplement things.   I don't have kids so don't qualify for any assistance programs.

I applied to secretarial jobs that I used to do in before I finished my bachelor's with either no response or the form rejection letter.  Yes, even for the part-time graveyard shift positions.

The problem is that there's so few jobs out there.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that, I don't know where some of these out of touch politicians think the jobs are.  I've had college educated friends in nearly every industry who've been laid off at some point during this recession.   Some of them have thankfully found permanent positions.  I haven't been that lucky yet, obviously.

I've considered going back to school full-time (I'm currently a part-time student) to ride this out but I'm not sure if that'll help or I'll end up even deeper in student loan debt and as unemployed as I am now.  As I get closer and closer to the one year mark, I find myself becoming short with people, angry.

I am angry.  I'm angry that I went to school for an in demand field that I somehow can't do anything with now.  I'm angry that my own government wants to write me off.  I'm angry that being smart and a hard worker isn't enough anymore.

I'm angry that I don't know what it'll take to actually get a job other than sheer luck, which I don't seem to have.

I don't live beyond my means.  When everyone was taking on these huge crazy mortgages they couldn't afford three years ago, I didn't because I knew I couldn't afford it.   I rented a reasonably priced apartment.  I drive a 2005 Civic.  I did everything "right"

I got screwed anyway.

I'm not alone, I know I'm not.  I know there's others out there with similar stories and ones with stories much more heartbreaking than anything I described.   It's little consolation though in a country where every day it seems less and less people care.

No comments:

Post a Comment